[DuoList] The memory of a ram disk

Goodwin, Greg P. GoodwinG at aafes.com
Tue Apr 19 05:36:42 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: duolist-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
[mailto:duolist-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com] On Behalf Of
daniel brunk

Forgive me if you've already done this, but I'm
guessing you have the box in the memory control panel
checked that says something like, "Save contents of
RAMDisk on Shut Down and Restart?"

>  Sure did.  It saves the contents a time or two.

Has anyone here been able to boot from a RAMDisk?  I
thought the contents of the Disk weren't reloaded
until after the boot process.  (In other words, you'd
have to finish booting before you even had a RAMDisk
to tell the computer to boot from.)

>  It was mentioned in a Idiots Guide to system 8 or something like that
which suggested the idea of putting the operating system in the ram
disk, or putting a bootable backup disk in the ram disk in the event the
main disk crashes.
     I have to say that the bootable ram disk is awesome.  Just wish I
could get it to stay.  The suggestion from the book is that it is
possible.

     Doc Clu