[DuoList] The memory of a ram disk

Roger Gouin roger at islandnet.com
Fri Apr 22 00:17:19 PDT 2005

At 7:36 AM -0500 4/19/05, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> [...]

Yes.

> >  Sure did.  It saves the contents a time or two.
>
>Has anyone here been able to boot from a RAMDisk?  I
>thought the contents of the Disk weren't reloaded
>until after the boot process.  (In other words, you'd
>have to finish booting before you even had a RAMDisk
>to tell the computer to boot from.)

Ramdisk must be on the desktop with a system disk, before the Restart.

> >  It was mentioned in a Idiots Guide to system 8 or something like that
>which suggested the idea of putting the operating system in the ram
>disk, or putting a bootable backup disk in the ram disk in the event the
>main disk crashes.
>     I have to say that the bootable ram disk is awesome.  Just wish I
>could get it to stay.  The suggestion from the book is that it is
>possible.
>
>     Doc Clu

Besides putting a system on it, you have to select it in the Startup
control panel and do a restart. It won't work booting right after a
crash. The idea is to boot it to the ramdisk later, so the main drive
can be repaired with a program like First Aid, etc.

Roger