[DuoList] Bad dial-up

Roger Gouin roger at islandnet.com
Fri Apr 22 00:06:24 PDT 2005

At 1:39 AM -0400 4/22/05, mark didine wrote:
>Months and months, getting dropped every few minutes, I phoned
>Network Help, and one guy said they don't support FreePPP anymore.
>What else is there? Something better than 2.6.2 ?
>
>p.s. I'm not sure it's not my old 2nd-hand Wallstreet, OS 9.2.1.
>      One guy said it must be on my end because they don't send
>      cut-off signals; their modems are just on all the time.
>      True?
>      Screwed?

There's a greater chance it's something else and probably a bad phone
line. I had a hell of a time with one place I was living because the
phone line ran right beside the power line and it's was impossible
when it rained. Any way check for interference from other wires and
devices. (Some TVs may interfere) and can you hear any cracking on
the line. There's also another debatable issue of crossed polarity in
the house wiring, I read about somewhere.
Seems to me the other issue is. They either support PPP or they
don't. Of course, there may be other factors.

Roger,