[DuoList] Bad dial-up

Jim Allen jimallen at bright.net
Fri Apr 22 05:30:37 PDT 2005

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a technical explanation, but here's
some  anecdotal help. I once had a similar (almost identical) problem and it
was infrastructure related. After a couple of years of verbally abusing my
ISP (who was always nice despite it), they finally convinced me it was
infrastructure related. When I started calling the phone company (the ISP
and phone service were different entities, but both local),  I  got every
excuse in the book, ending with the, "we don't guarantee anything but a dial
tone and a voice connection," that kinda ends all the conversation. The
phone company's wiring and switching gear was old and even our phone
service was not particularly reliable. The proof came when I took the same
machine to a part of the country with better infrastructure (oddly a much
more rural area) and had no more problems.

Jim Allen