[DuoList] Bad dial-up

Michael Belless purple_ghost at utahweb.com
Fri Apr 22 09:08:38 PDT 2005

My ISP has a policy that if I do not make a request of it every so often.
Even if I am constantly downloading or say, playing Yahoo Chess (which is
Java).   Then If I do not make a request to do something else.  Like check
eamail.  Then their server presumes my computer is 'Not functional"  and
"drops my connection.".  Sorry I should have said I am on Windows 95 when
this happens.  Within the   "Dialer"  supplied by my ISP is an option to
tell the ISP server not do    "drop my connection"  due to inactivity.  The
only activity the ISP server counts down from is like, getting a new web
page, or actively checking email.   Option two to test this would be to get
on and every five minutes make a request of some kind.  Like to get a new
web page, actively check email.    In the same vein, I heard that a computer
which was llistening to a streaming audio of a conference, where the ISP
kept  "dropping connection".  Once again, the ISP saw the line as
"Inactive".