[DuoList] For Sale: 2400c tricked out

Gene Osburn mac4gman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:14:30 PDT 2005

Hi Greg,

> Hello everyone,
>
> Hard to part with, but here goes (!snif!):

Hang in there, guy...<sympathetically> I know it hurts to say good
bye...<eyeing Comet and accessories enviously> but I'm sure you'll find
a good home for your old friend...<cross-fade to Peter Lorre> Well well
well, look at what I just found...room for one more PowerBook in my
loving family.  Imagine that...!

> Apple PowerBook 2400c, cardbussed
> G3 240MHz, 512k cache
> 112MB RAM
> 40 GIG hard drive
> AC adapter

...and a battery, perhaps?

> The extras:
> External floppy drive
> External Sony PRD-650 "discman" CD-ROM drive, bootable
> 180MHz processor card (original)
> 64MB RAM chip
> 2400c motherboard
> Wireless PCMCIA card, uses OS9 Airport software
> 10/100 ethernet PCMCIA card
> 56k PCMCIA modem
> Capsure PCMCIA video in with Critter Cam
> NewerTech Bookendz
> ADB flexlight (tres cool)
> ADB infrared remote for presentation (forward/back)

Quite a package, and very close to exactly how I'd like to see my Comet
configged in the near future.  I picked mine up via ebay and it has
only one flaw, but it's one that sticks in my craw: there's a small gap
between the casing pieces on one side.  Though most folks would
consider this a minor cosmetic flaw, I'm extremely bummed because I
want to do a major paint job mod and need all the joins to be clean and
tight.  I'm preparing an ebay listing today to sell it for this reason,
and am actively seeking a structurally and cosmetically intact
replacement.  I won't have the cash needed for this replacement for
perhaps another week or ten days, but maybe we can talk turkey...?

> Extra extras:
> Apple Laserwriter 4/600
> Extra screen plastics for 2400c, in case you want to paint it!

No need for a LaserWriter (and certainly wouldn't want to pay for
shipping it!), but any extra plastics that will make my paint mod
project easier would be welcome.

> It has also had a lot of thermal modifications, which has brought the
> CPU
> temp down about 10 degrees from normal.

Glad to hear it.  My current Comet also has a NewerTech 240, and I've
yet to find the supplies needed to upgrade the heatsink.  I assume
that's 10 degrees Fahrenheit rather Celsius...?

> The trackpad click button is sticky (normal on this model), and can be
> fixed by replacing the switch--a modification described on the 'net (I
> mostly just tap on the pad).

Same here - pretty much a non-issue.

> ONE ISSUE! There is one issue that I have not solved to date: ever
> since I
> installed the G3 upgrade, the 'Book will not wake from sleep properly.
> Thus
> I set the hard drive to spin down, and the monitor to dim, but the
> PowerBook
> does not "sleep" as such.

Oh well, nobody's perfect...;^)

> I have my price in mind, but reply off-list and let me know what you
> think.

I'm talking to Ralph about buying his last "extra" Comet.  It's a nice,
complete package for $175 shipped...but there aren't as many extras and
accessories as you're offering.  Of course, I don't really want/need
everything listed so....

How much can I get for $200 including shipping?
The items of least importance to me, listed in order of disposability:
Capsure PCMCIA video in with Critter Cam;
ADB infrared remote for presentation (forward/back);
64MB RAM chip;
ADB flexlight (tres cool);
2400c motherboard;
56k PCMCIA modem.

I'd think you could get enough on ebay or the Swaplist for those items
to make it worth your while to list them....
Do we have a basis for further discussion here?

> (I'm still holding on to my 280c and minidock!)

Ah, a true kindred spirit.  I'm also keeping my 280c close at hand,
albeit with a fully tricked out Dock rather than minidock.  "Frank" is
one of Mad Dog's FrankenDuo specials with ADB port, lighted trackball,
and CPU o/c'ed to 37.5 MHz.

Pax,

Gene, a.k.a. G-Man
Friends don't let friends do Windows