[DuoList] newbie has problem with his 2400c

Tom W. canadian.bear at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:50:57 PST 2005

I just bought a 2400c from the Lowendmac swap list. It arrived this
week, in seeming pristine condition. I found out after buying that we
hadn't actually discussed an adapter, so none was included. The
machine booted and ran fine, but the battery began draining.

I found out from the seller that I could use a Duo adapter from my
280c, so I did this. I plugged it in with the machine off and left it.
Several hours later turned it back on and was puzzled to see that
according to the battery icon, the machine was still draining.

I popped the battery out (with the machine off) plugged it back in and
the lid  light began blinking green.  I thought that meant it was
charging, so I left it for several hours, to then discover the battery
continued  to change.

I put my 1400 adapter because I thought it would let me use the 2400
and charge it at the same time, but this time, when booting, the
battery died. I tried the powermanager reset and restart. At some
point, the lid began glowing a steady green.

I then saw the "fix" for this GLOD on the Internet, so tried
disconnecting AC, popping battery out, reconnecting AC and then
holding the reset button for 40 seconds. The light went out. Now, when
I pressed reset, I heard "click".

If I do the PMU reset, the green light goes out. With the battery out
and the AC in, it will not start or chime, period.

If I let the battery sit (and recharge on its own a little) then pop
it in, I hear startup chime, and the computer attempts to start, until
the screen comes on, then the drained battery gives up.

I tried pressing CTRL APPLE POWER on the keyboard. If I hold it down a
few seconds, the steady green light comes back on.

Could this be the fuse I've read about? Are there instructions for changing it?

Does anybody have any ideas? I love this little thing.

Thanks
Tom