[DuoList] cooling mods?

Randolph Gore rgore at newted.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 16 08:37:00 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 B G wrote:

--------
>Is it hot near the hard drive or the CPU?
>

>On Feb 15, 2005, at 10:17 PM, Samual Acorn wrote:
>
>> dunno if  i posted this here or not but has anyone ever done any duo > cooling mods? the 280c i have runs HOT.. (cant hardly hold it) > i got a suggestion on this board one time to remove the battery (since > mine is dead) and that did take care of the heat problem... but it > seems to have come back... with a vengance.
--------

Samual,

The 280 is usually a preHy cool running little Powerbook. Find where the heat is coming from: the area to tne right of tne trackpad (or trackball:-) is the harddrive.

To really check things out you'll have to take things apart.  Just a little to the left of the center of the keyboard is the mighty 68LC40 processor.  Check that the processor is seated well against the heat sink--there should be some special grease on the sink.  The harddrive should have some copper colored heat shielding around it.

good luck ,

Randy

--  "We have grown literally afraid to be poor. We despise anyone who  elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he  does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making  street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition. We have lost  the power even of imagining what the   ancient idealization of poverty could have meant: the liberation from  material attachments, the unbribed soul."   -- William James in The Varieties of Religious Experience (1902)