[DuoList] 2400

Gene Osburn mac4gman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:58:25 PST 2005

>>>  My second major recommendation would be to shop for a high speed
>>> Compact Flash card (40X or greater) and a PCMCIA adapter to use it a
>>> your boot drive.  You'd need at least a 512 MB card -- 1 MB would be
>>> best.  Your 2400 would be appreciably quicker and run in virtual
>>> silence, and battery life would be extended as well.  More details
>>> upon request.
>>
>> I'm requesting  :-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> DG
> Hi I got a 512 mb compact flash and adapter but need to know how to
> bless the system on it. to make it bootable or is there a key at start
> up to hold.

OK, to review....
First, you need to format the CF using Disk Utility or some such tool.
It will then mount on your desktop and be selectable as a drive option
when you run the OS intaller.
Then install the leanest possible OS of your choosing.  I highly
recommend 8.6 unless you have a compelling reason for using 9.1.  When
install finishes, select the CF "drive" in Startup Disk CP and restart.
Once booted from your new CF boot drive, open the Startup Disk CP and
reselect your CF drive; this is to ensure that your 'Book doesn't
"forget" that your CF card is numero uno.  Whenever you shut down your
'Book be sure to insert your CF card again before starting up (I'd
never shut down, just put the PB to sleep with card still inserted).
No further "blessing" of the CF card should be needed; no specific key
to hold during startup, etc.  The four-finger salute might come in
handy some day: command/option/shift/delete at startup tells your Mac
to bypass your internal hard drive and look elsewhere for a system
folder.  I've never used it with a CF drive but I think it should work.

Using RAM Doubler or virtual memory is almost required with the 2400's
rather low RAM ceiling.  RD 9 works great and allows you to effectively
triple your memory, but a CF boot drive gives you an even better
option.  In the Memory CP you can set which drive to use for Virtual
Memory and allocate as much of the free space as desired for that
purpose.  Don't get too carried away, leave at least 200 MB of free
space on your CF drive above and beyond VM usage....

Did I cover everything?

Gene Osburn
Friends don't let friends do Windows