[DuoList] Joining secure network with OS 8.6?

Gary F. Daught gfdaught at charter.net
Sun Apr 30 08:40:25 PDT 2006

Greetings. I have a PowerBook 2400c, running OS 8.6. I have a Dell
TrueMobile Gold wireless pc card (that supports 128-bit WEP
encryption), running ORiNOCO driver v.7.2. I am successfully running
wireless on my secure network at home.

My college, however, recently switched to a secure (closed) wireless
network that utilizes certificates, 802.1x authentication and PEAP
(Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol). I am no longer able
to access the network with my current hardware/software
configuration, and am definitely sensing the limits of my trusty 2400
in this environment. The college is not a Mac-friendly environment in
general, though I have successfully assisted students with PowerBooks
and iBooks running OS X and AirPort to get on this closed network
with little problem.

I know AirPort support was introduced with OS 9. But I don't know
whether my TrueMobile card is supported within AirPort. It may be
time to jump into the 21st century...once the non-Pro version of the
Mac Book is released. But before I bail, I was wondering if there is
a known work-around, third-party utility, firmware update, etc. that
would enable me to join this closed network with these added layers
of security/authentication?

Thanks for your assistance.

Gary F. Daught