[DuoList] FS: PowerBook 2400c/180 with nice extras!

gfdaught at charter.net gfdaught at charter.net
Mon May 22 06:16:09 PDT 2006

This message was prepared for a couple other lists, so it includes information folks on the Duo/2400 list will already appreciate...

Greetings. I'm thinking it might be MacBook time. With reluctance, I'm offering my gently used and well maintained PowerBook 2400c/180 sub-notebook for sale. A cult classic! 180MHz 603e PPC, 80MB RAM, 1GB hard drive, 2 PC Card slots (16-bit pcmcia, not CardBus enabled), a mere 4.4 pounds light, 1.9” H x 10.5” W x 8.4” D. Excellent cosmetic condition; bright flawless active matrix display (800x600 resolution). Keyboard crisp with no worn lettering (normal use shininess on some keys), trackpad and clicker excellent, hinges are firm, latch with sleep indicator light, PC Card ejector buttons, speaker, IR-port, port door and all ports (HDI-30 SCSI, ADB, Serial, VGA) fully functional, all rubber feet. Only “flaw” is addition of Kensington anti-theft lock plate affixed to back of lid (but it is nicely centered and doesn’t detract from appearance). Selling with matching (and very stylish) PB2400c external floppy drive w/cable, 2 Apple-branded PB2400c Lith-Ion batteries (each hold 1+ hour charge), and Apple-branded PB2400c 36W AC Adapter. I will include a carrying bag. This is a lovely machine. $150 (firm) plus actual insured shipping (securely packaged) from 37601 to lower 48. I accept PayPal (cash, no credit cards!) or USPS Money Order. Photos available to any serious inquirers.

Other items priced separately (plus actual shipping, unless noted). However, priority goes to buyer who will take PowerBook system with everything below for special bundled price of only $200 plus actual insured shipping. I will free-up these items for sale separately once a buyer for the PowerBook is secured:

* Transcend 80X 1GB CompactFlash memory module w/PC Card adapter. $30 (purchased new 12/2005)

* Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series 11Mbps 802.11b Wireless LAN Adapter (16- bit pcmcia card) supporting 128-bit WEP encryption w/ORiNOCO drivers.
$20

* Global Village PowerPort Platinum Pro PC Card 28.8 Kbps fax/modem and 10Base-T Ethernet adapter w/phone and RJ-45 connector dongle and drivers. $15

* AppleCD 600e external SCSI CD-ROM drive w/power cord, 3 ft. SCSI cable, terminator, and SCSI to HDI-30 adapter. $8

* Full retail version Mac OS 8.5/8.6 on CD. $10 shipped

* Licensed copy Microsoft Office 98 for Macintosh on CD. $15 shipped

* Licensed copy Connectix RAM Doubler 8 on CD w/9.01 updater, manual.
$10 shipped

USER NOTES: I used the 1GB CompactFlash memory module as a boot and applications disk. This enabled me to run my PowerBook silently (because the hard drive was not spinning), and it greatly increased battery use times well into the 2+ hour range (though I never actually timed them). I really only used the internal hard drive for document storage. AppleCD in good condition, used mainly to install software (bootable using Cmd-C). I never used the modem part of the Global Village PC Card since I didn’t have dial-up ISP. However, I used the Ethernet side and it worked fine. Didn’t use it much after I got the Dell wireless PC Card, which works wonderfully at coffee shop or on my secure home network. The 2400 can run OS 7.x-9.2.x (with OS
9 Helper utility), but 8.6 is definitely best, fast and rock stable. I recommend RAM Doubler as superior to Virtual Memory.

Gary F. Daught
Johnson City, TN  37601