[DuoList] Home for a Duo 2300 (grayscale?)

Hansel Chung hchung75 at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 10:38:26 PDT 2007

Let's see.... here's how I recall the history:

In 1994, my dad let me take all my savings and purchase a used Duo
210. I was in 7th grade at the time. So yeah, it impressed the heck
out of all my friends and teachers to see a kid in elementary school
have a laptop and know how to use it.
I used it for word processing, BBSs, running little games like Glider
4.0. Also learning about the Mac in general, Appletalk networks and
stuff. Even was on eWorld and the first Mac version of AOL Instant
Messenger. I even started learning C on it.
So right before the end of middle school, I was actually hired for a
small summer job of hooking up macs and setting up a network at the
school.
In high school, I continued to use it for word processing, internet
access, all the usual stuff we do now on our overpowered desktops. But
I had an itch to overclock it and I did. The consequence was that I
accidentally dropped a little bit of solder which messed up the power
systems. This resulted in not being able to use batteries. :(
I struck an agreement with my parents again to have a 2300 upgrade put
in if I get straight A's for that semester. (Note, this was the only
time I had ever gotten straight A's for a semester ever :))
So they footed the bill, and I got a 2300.
I then bought a dead 280c off ebay for the screen and had a color 2300
which I used for high school journalism, papers, reports, photoshop,
etc.
And then something died. I think it may have been the screen; can't
imagine it was anything else since every other significant piece is
still here with me and running.
Somewhat saddened, I called up MacWarehouse to find they had a few
2400c's for sale (discontinued). My parents bought one and the 64meg
chip for me and used that for about 2 years until GLOD hit me.
At the same time, I got a 280c screen off ebay for cheap, fixed up the
Duo, gave it to my sister.
She used it for a while, and then tripped over it one evening,
cracking the screen. So I got a 210 screen for cheap and that's how it
is now.
I prepped it for a little cousin in Taiwan but then realized that
there's really nothing he can do with it these days, so I set it aside
on a shelf for a couple years.

Somewhere along the way, I used it for learning a little Newton
development too.

The 2400c was replaced by a TiBook 400 which was replaced by a AlBook
12" G4 867. And then finally work now provides me with a evilBook Pro,
er, I mean MacBook Pro.

It's a funny coincidence that a month or two before a new generation
of Apple notebook design comes out, my previous one dies in a non-
trivial manner. And I always end up with a first gen of some design.
The evilBook is the first Mac laptop I've received while the previous
one was working. But I sold the 12 inch anyways since I couldn't find
use for two laptops, and it was still worth a good chunk on ebay. And
the 2400c got repaired by DT&T since the store was a couple blocks
down from where my college roommate lived.

-Hansel