[DuoList] Re: Duos for Donation

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 08:04:45 PDT 2007

Hi Rich and Allen,
  I just read the manual for the Duo 2300c and it says the DuoDock Plus does NOT support the target disk mode through the SCSI port on the back. I don't know if the older DuoDock supports it or not.
  Another option I haven't heard mentioned is using the Appletalk ports. I bought a couple of Appletalk transceivers and used them to connect my Duo 2300c to an Apple 100 MHz PPC desktop (can't remember the model number) to transfer files back and forth. I don't know if you could format the hard drive that way or install a new OS- the experts could probably answer that one.

  Art in Silicon Valley

allenpau at wellsfargo.com wrote:

Another option is to put the Duo's in the dock, (does it have
a db25 scsi connector?) connect it to the scsi port on the ppc, start
the ppc then start the duo in the dock and install the OS in what is
called "target disk mode". It basically means that the ppc looks at the
duo in the dock like an external hdd. By the way, if your ppc is a 6100,
then it is a first generation ppc and is non pci. It's nubus and there
is no such thing at this time as usb for nubus, though strangly there is
a guy who has developed a card for the Apple II that has a USB port and
also an adapter to read complact flash cards.