[DuoList] Re: Powerbook 2400 - Internal WiFi

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 04:49:30 PST 2008

Uh guys, when I mentioned disassembly instructions.... Ivan was one of
the first. ;-)

A cool hack really gets some old name surfacing.  Hi Ivan... ;-)

On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:07 AM, Ivan Drucker wrote:

> Wow, what a truly fantastic hack. Congratulations.
>
> On 12/2/08 4:11 AM, "Joseph Sis" <joe at allensis.com> wrote:
>
>> For all 2400 fans out there, I thought I would share this tip/trick/
>> hack:
>>
>> I just managed to install an internal WiFi antenna in my Powerbook
>> 2400, which connects to a standard wireless PCMCIA card.  I had the
>> idea when I broke the external antenna connector I had been using,
>> when searching for a replacement, it occurred to me that the same
>> antenna that is inside my 12" G4 aluminum would also work in the
>> 2400.  Off to ebay I ran and $12 later I had another 12" internal
>> antenna assembly.
>>
>> I tore apart, oh so carefully, the 2400 and opened the screen
>> assembly, after a few placement attempts I found the arrangement that
>> worked in the screen housing.  Then routed the connector to the card
>> cage.  I am using an Orinoco Gold that does not have the bulky
>> antenna end, instead it has an inset for the MC card connector.  I
>> placed the card in the lower slot and connected the antenna.  The
>> excess hides nicely under the card (use the lower slot) when slid
>> into place.
>>
>> Now my 2400 has one more thing in common with my 12"!  Plus no more
>> external antenna blues!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> joe

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

PB2400c/G3-320/112MB/80MB HD/Yu-Plan Keyboard
mac2400 http://www.sarofax.com/mac2400/index2.html
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin, 1759.