[DuoList] Cannibalizing a 2400 to upgrade another

Susanna sus at mac.com
Sun Nov 23 19:10:57 PST 2008

Hello,

I was taking stock of my 2400s today, thinking about what to do with
them.  I haven't actually used any of them for awhile, but I'm
thinking I'd like to start using one again -- and maybe making use of
the others' parts. Only one is currently working, but it's the most
bare-bones one.

My best 2400 (the one that has upgrades:  G3, RAM, cardbus enabled,
and a big, quiet harddrive) has the worst problems:  the display is
unreadable unless the frame is squeezed tightly on the lefthand side;
and the 2400 only starts up after MANY tries and resets.  When I try
to start up, usually I get a plain blank screen with just the cursor
on it; once in awhile I get a floppy icon; and every once in awhile,
it starts up just fine and works fine for awhile...and then freezes
or shuts itself off.

Today I tried starting it from an original 2400 boot CD in an
external CD-rom drive -- and it actually did boot up from the CD,
although mid-way I got this message: "The built-in memory test has
detected a problem with cache memory.  Please contact a service
technician for assistance"  (Then it finished booting up from the CD,
but it was frozen, so I couldn't do anything but force-restart).

 From the symptoms and the error message, could anyone guess whether
or not the source of the problem is likely to be the G3 card?  If
there's no reason to suspect the G3 card, then what I'm considering
doing -- if I can find a shop to do it -- is having the G3 card taken
out and transplanted into my other 2400 (the one that works). And,
unless there's reason to suspect that the RAM or the harddrive might
be the source of the problems, I'm thinking I'll have those
transplanted to my working 2400 too.

If anyone has any thoughts about this possible plan, or has any other
ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Susanna