[DuoList] USB for 2400

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 13:57:26 PDT 2010

On some motherboards, you instead need to break off two miniscule resistors
instead, easily done with a needlenose pliers. That was the case on mine.

USB definitely is supported under 8.6 (the original iMac, which introduced
USB on Macs, came with a variant of 8.1 IIRC), but I'm not sure if it does
out of the box without some Apple and third-party extensions, and I am not
sure I ever succeeded with it. At any rate, my memory is very hazy here, so
you might as well try.

Upgrading to OS 9.1 (or OS 9.2.2 with OS9Helper) should make it work out of
the box, no questions asked. However, if you upgrade to OS 9 or beyond, then
you will get a freeze every time you start up your Mac with your the USB
card installed (or any 32-bit cardbus card). You will instead need to eject
it before shutdown (or manually eject and force restart after hang), and
insert it after startup. This is definitely a pain, but one that I live
with, as the benefits of using OS 9 outweigh this nuisance.

I keep 8.6 and 9.2.2 (and 10.2.8, FWIW) on separate partitions so I have
options, since each has implications (USB support, hang during startup,
etc).

Ivan.