[DuoList] PowerBook 2400c booting external CD-ROM

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Thu Mar 25 13:56:36 PDT 2010

On 3/25/10 12:53 PM, Ward Curry wrote:
> I am trying to re-install the system software on a PowerBook 2400c. I
> just purchased an external SCSI CD-ROM drive off eBay for this purpose.
> I have a connection cable and a terminator on the other SCSI port. Every
> time I try to boot holding down the "C" key it comes up in SCSI disk
> mode with a "2" flashing across the screen. How do I get it to boot off
> the CD-ROM? I have an OS 8.1 system software disk I am using, I just
> can't get it to boot off the CD-ROM.

The "2" means the laptop is coming up in SCSI Disk Mode.  That means the
laptop is making the internal harddisk appear as a SCSI drive, number 2.
  The intent is to allow you to plug the SCSI cable into a Mac and do
formatting / installations on the PBs hd via the other Mac.

Take a look at your SCSI cable, the part that plugs into the PB (or via
an adapter).  There should be either 29 or 30 pins, the difference is
one pin in a corner.  If the pin is missing you have a standard SCSI
cable.  If the pin is there you a SCSI disk mode cable, either full time
or switch selectable.  See if there is a switch located somewhere on the
cable.  If the connector has the pin (it should since your PB is going
into SCSI Disk Mode) and has no switch then you need to get another SCSI
cable.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA