[DuoList] OSX on 2400c

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 15:56:07 PDT 2013

I wrote a guide for installing 10.1 on a 2400c/603 that I dug up here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081120183802/http://sarofax.com/mac2400/os_x_on_pb_2400c_by_ivan_d.htm

And I found a report on getting a G3-upgraded 2400c to run 10.2.8 (I don't think it's possible with a 603):

http://web.archive.org/web/20061105093939/http://forum.macsales.com/viewtopic.php?t=2831

It's a lot of effort to get there, and it's not even close to anything you'd want to use beyond "whoa cool" (it can't sleep, it can't dim, it can't start up with both card slots loaded, it's slow, you really need 1024x768, etc). But if neato is the reason that you want to do it, sure, go for it.

If you actually want an OS X machine, the suggestion of a PB G4 12" is a good one, though I'd recommend at least the 1 GHz model if possible because it has USB 2.0 and DVI video out. Even so, Mac OS X 10.5 is already being abandoned (e.g. it can't run recent versions of Firefox required by some sites), and even more so for PowerPC machines.

I now use a MacBook Air 11", which is the true heir to the 2400c, IMO. It's really a beautiful machine.

Ivan.