Are most FW cd-rw drives EIDE on the inside?

Rick Castillo casti020 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 8 08:38:52 PDT 2003

I bought a Kanguru drive that was advertised as having Mac
compatibility.  It is only compatible after you call and find out you
have to use the Dragon Burner software.  The software didn't come with
the drive and it is being sent.  The drive won't work with iTunes or
Apple's Disk Copy utility.

I downloaded the demo version of the Dragon Burner software and found
that the CD-RW was actually an Artec WRR-52 drive.
www.artecusa.com

Looking at the manufacturers website I don't see that they make a
firewire drive.

Now I'm thinking I have an EIDE drive in a firewire oxford-bridge box.
Its pretty speedy, and only cost me $115.00, so far.

If the software that is being sent is only the demo version then I'll
have to pay $49.00 for the full version.  So that's about $164.00 for
this cheapo drive.

I finally found the compatibility chart on the apple site.  Most of
these drives seem like eide drives going through an oxford bridge.  I'm
guessing because of the lack of specificity on the spec sheets.  But at
least I wouldn't have to buy more software.
www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/storage.html

Here are my questions:

What is this difference?  I know that ide transfers data at 7800 KB/S
and firewire moves it at 400 mbs.  What I want to know is,

How much more will I pay for a true Firewire CD-RW?
Is there such a thing?
Who makes them?