[FW] Trouble with Firewire on External Enclosure with serial ata

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Tue Jan 4 10:48:07 PST 2005

> The new enclosure (Addonics Model AE5SACSUF) with the
> Addonics SATA to IDE adapter works fine on USB2 but does
> not work at all on the Firewire port. Hook up to firewire,
> Disk Utility sees the entire drive (~200 G) but when you
> erase or partition the process hangs.

The enclosure uses an Oxford 911 bridge (Firewire 400):

http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/ae5idecsu2f.asp

Note this comment on the manufacturer's web site:

"For Mac OS only, there are a few reports of incompatibility
with the Firewire connection on G5 and PowerBook running Mac
OS 10.2 using SATA hard drive larger than 200G. The latest
Mac OS 10.3.6 is not supported at this time."

That's not good news. If they can't provide a fix I suggest
you get a refund.

Art