[FW] Re: Hardware Supporting Larger HDs

Ian Z.McFaul izmac at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 16:18:27 PST 2005

Art and Listees:

Just wanted to clarify a few points.

>> I have a Mac Quicksilver, I did not realize the IDE bus
>> was limited in size for this new a machine. I knew that
>> older G4's such as Yikes, Sawtooth and of course B&W had
>> problems.
>
> Native support for drive sizes larger than 128GB is included
> with the QuickSilver 2002 and later model machines. Systems
> before that, including the regular QuickSilver, require a
> new adapter in order to support larger drives.

The limit is 137GB.  Anything over that will have to conform to the
ATA-6/48-LBA spec.

> Although the QuickSilver 2002 isn't mentioned in the
> document, that's a mistake, and it's been verified as the
> baseline for greater than 128GB native drive support.

It is, in fact, not a mistake.

While many people report success with Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002)
systems, not all of them support HDs larger than 137GB on the internal
ATA bus.  Only Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) and later have full
support for every system shipped.  The document is accurate to reflect
that.

ian