[FW] Trouble with Firewire on External Enclosure with serial ata

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Tue Jan 4 12:08:25 PST 2005

This is all wrong. Numerous people have reported problems
with the Oxford 911 chipset going all the way back to the
first Firewire bug that hit Mac OS 10.3.0. Even then, some
claimed that the problem only affected the 922 bridge, in
spite of the fact that owners of 911 enclosures and external
drives were having the problem. I really don't care about
what Oxford is able to reproduce in a lab, real world
results have been something quite different.

I suggest updating the firmware no matter what, instead of
depending on the recent unreliability of Apple updates. This
isn't about blaming Oxford, as the problems have affected
other chipsets, it's about troubleshooting existing problems
and avoiding future ones. Upgrade the firware.

Art