[FW] Results of TESTING with Firewire on External Enclosure with serial ata drive

Larry Blodgett lblodgett at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 21:15:01 PST 2005

This is continuation of several emails earlier today.

Basic problem
The enclosure (Addonics Model AE5SACSUF) with the Addonics SATA to IDE
adapter works fine on USB2 but does not work at all on the Firewire
port.

Results of various configurations.  Mac OS 10.3.7 (this is important)
G4 1GHZ machine

Testing WITHOUT SATA to IDE adapter.  (tested 3 different sizes 80g,
120G and 250G) Oxford 911 bridge chipset confirmed

Version of Bridge	IDE Disk Size		USB Results		Firewire Results
3.5				80G				works			works
3.5				120G			works			works
3.5				250G			works			works

3.8				80G				works			works
3.8				120G			works			works
3.8				250G			works			works

4.0				80G				works			works
4.0				120G			works			works
4.0				250G			works			works

Testing WITH IDE to SATA adapter.  (tested 200G drive SATA drive)
Oxford 911 bridge chipset confirmed

Version of Bridge	IDE Disk Size		USB Results		Firewire Results
3.5				200G			works			fails
3.8				200G			works			fails
4.0				200G			works			fails

Based on these tests, I would conclude that the adapter board from IDE
to SATA is failing.
The drives all work fine under USB2.
I have two of these little boards (both Addonics), they both fail.

I wish I had a smaller SATA drive to test but I doubt any drive will
work with the SATA to IDE adapter board.

Does anyone know of another adapter board that I can try?

Larry Blodgett
lblodgett at mac.com