[FW] Trouble with Firewire on External Enclosure with serial ata

jeff chasick jchasick at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 12:27:47 PST 2005

the 10.3.0 fiasco was an Apple driver related issue and Oxford released
a patch so everyones drives would work again - the 10.3.0 issue is
totally unrelated to the 10.3.6 issue (except that they both are
problems with the Apple driver.....)

the 10.3.6 problems were similar, but different because it affected the
Oxford 922 chip, the Initio 2430 chip, and the Initio 1430 chip

hasn't anyone asked the question, "well everything worked fine in all
of these versions of the OS until version 10.3.x was released and
suddenly things that worked before stopped working......."

again, yes, there were some people that encountered problems with the
911 chip back in Nov 2003 when 10.3 was released and every Oxford based
device on the face of the planet stopped working correctly - that was
fixed by Oxford in the v3.8 firmware release

under 10.3.6 there were some problem reports, but not everyone, and
actually most users did not encounter problems (with the Oxford 911
chip - there were problems with the Initio 1430 chip for which a patch
was released by Initio)

10.3.7 seems to have quieted things down (thank you Apple for fixing
the driver), and yes, there have been a couple of unrelated issues that
a handful of people have reported to various Mac sites, but again, they
are random, they are not wide spread, and not a problem - if there is a
problem then Oxford and Initio will release updates if needed (until
Apple releases the next version and fixes the drivers again.....)