Backup Strategies

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 1 13:02:50 PST 2003

Hi all,

I'm ready to buy an external hard drive and note that Maxtor
has Dantz Retrospect included, but it's a $399 drive! I was
planning to spend in the neighborhood of $150-175 for around
40-60GB of space.

Is Dantz Retrospect worth the extra money?

Why wouldn't I use Carbon Copy Cloner for same?

Does it make sense to have something that will only backup
changed files, or backup the whole drive each time it is
scheduled to back up.

I am doing fairly well just backing up end-of-day stuff on
zip disks and then doing an end-of-job or end-of-month
backup burn to CD. My problem is the thought process
in terms of "what has changed since last backup?" takes
some time I'd rather devote to other tasks.

Plus, if my main hard drive fails, an external would be
priceless. I have all burned to CD, but bootable I am sure
I am not, so the process in case of hard drive crash would
be a bit cumbersome.

Plus, if my main hard drive fails, an external would be
priceless. I have all burned to CD, but bootable I am sure
I am not, so the process in case of hard drive crash would
be a bit cumbersome.

Anne Keller Smith, Webdesign
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net     http://www.earthpigz.com
Please no attachments! Thanks.