[G4] Backup Strategies

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 17:20:04 PST 2003

Anne,
I am a firm believer in Retrospect. Retrospect backups have saved me on
a couple of occasions from hard drive failure. You can get a much
better deal on the backup setup, though. The Maxtor unit has a button
you press that launches the backup automatically, but Retrospect will
do scripted backups at a certain time each day or week, so that is not
really necessary. I have seen pre-assembled 60GB Firewire drives for
$169 and Retrospect Express sells for $50 and Retrospect Desktop for
$139 if you need more flexibility or network backups. Retrospect will
do incremental backups for you so that you don't have to back up the
whole drive every time. An external drive is good for full backups and
will provide faster restores in the event of failure, but CD-R will be
more reliable for long-term archival. Neither the hard drive nor the
CD-Rs would be bootable from an Retrospect backup, but they would
restore a working system. CC Cloner will duplicate a bootable system,
but I think you have to copy the whole disk every time, which is a very
tedious backup strategy. I do a full system backup to DVD every month
or so and do nightly incremental CD-R backup for email, Quicken and
essential documents. That way I can restore the system from DVD and
then restore the things that change from CD-R. You could do the same
thing with a hard disk and CDs. Based on your description, Retrospect
would work pretty well for you.
Zip disks will be much less reliable than either hard drives or CDs. I
wouldn't trust anything really important to storage on Zip disks.
Mel