[G4] Backup Strategies

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 09:39:30 PST 2003

The one fact that gets my attention in this thread is that no one seems to
want to understand that you cannot simply make a copy of any OS-X
installation. There are invisible files that do not get dragged along with
the system folder when you try to make a "drag and drop" copy like you could
do with all the previous system versions.

You have the choice of trying to use the Carbon Copy Cloner software program
or you have to dig out your original installation CDs and do a complete NEW
installation on another hard drive and then drag and drop copy all your
documents to it.

If you get yourself a bootable SCSI card, an external hard drive case,
install an appropriate sized hard drive, plug the darned thing in and install
the OS, you will have a solution to your problem. Since you had the CDs to do
your original OS installation, you should still have them available for this
job. If you didn't have the installation CDs in the first place and pirated
the installation, then go out and buy them so you will have a set!

One acquaintance does an nightly back-up of his documents to CD-RW, but he
keeps the program and OS install CDs handy in case of drive failure. As long
as he has that CD-RW, he has all his documents saved and he can do a new
program installation any time, for any reason, from the program and OS CDs.
All he has to do is re-set his preferences and he's back on the job.

Personally, I use the external SCSI hard drive method. It was the easiest and
cheapest way for me since I had the card and extra drives sitting around
doing nothing anyway. BUT----I still keep the OS and program CDs handy.