[G4] Backup Strategies

John S. Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 19:35:23 PST 2003

On 4/1/03, Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> asks:

> Why wouldn't I use Carbon Copy Cloner for same?

Same being backing up. I don't know, why wouldn't you, I do.

> Does it make sense to have something that will only backup
> changed files, or backup the whole drive each time it is
> scheduled to back up.

Depends. Both can do incremental backups.

> I am doing fairly well just backing up end-of-day stuff on
> zip disks and then doing an end-of-job or end-of-month
> backup burn to CD. My problem is the thought process
> in terms of "what has changed since last backup?" takes
> some time I'd rather devote to other tasks.

I'd speculate that 90+% of what you created is in your User directory and
should be the only stuff needed to backup. Making a cloned OS could occur
after you've wrung out any major updates.

> Plus, if my main hard drive fails, an external would be
> priceless. I have all burned to CD, but bootable I am sure
> I am not, so the process in case of hard drive crash would
> be a bit cumbersome.

CCC allows you to make bootable CDs. See
<http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html> and
<http://www.bombich.com/mactips/bootx.html>.