[G4] Upgrading a Sawtooth

M Hood mehood at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 10:19:39 PDT 2003

You're confusing drive spindle speed (the rate at which the drive platters
spin) with IDE (ATA) bus speed. It doesn't matter if you put a 5400RPM drive
or a 7200RPM drive in...the motherboard can't tell the difference. It just
sees a drive. Now, for ATA66/100/133, the motherboard can tell the
difference in those. That is the speed at which data is transferred. I think
you'd want at least an ATA66, but you can use a faster drive, but the
machine won't take advantage of the extra speed. It'll just cost extra.
(maybe).

mark