[G4] Geforce3 video card - possible upgrade

RedEclipseTurbo GeForce3 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 06:02:08 PDT 2003

It definitely sounds like a flashed PC GF3 since it only has a VGA
port. If the price is around same or better than a Radeon 8500 and the
seller can give some sort of guarantee that it will work properly or
allow you to return it, then it isn't such a bad deal. I actually sell
GF3 cards on ebay under the name RedEclipseTurbo and have found first
hand on how to flash these cards from the PC side. The hard part is
finding ones that will fit inside a Cube and tolerate all the heat
inside of them. Success rate is quite high for tower bound cards but
the Cube has given me many challenges that I would never wish upon all
but my worst enemies.

My latest project has been to successfully underclock the Cube bound
cards to 175 core / 400 memory speed as well as the normal 200/460
speed. For G4 towers I've tested them to work properly at 230/520 and
if they pass that speed they get set to 225/500 for long term
reliability and are ready to sell. This gives a nice 10% speed boost
for anything that uses 3D acceleration and I have VGA only models as
well as VGA + DVI. I do included the latest nVidia 3.0 drivers on CD
for OS 9.2.2 and Apple's latest 10.2.5 fully supports the cards and
also gives a nice 15% boost to Open GL and Quartz extreme with the
latest driver update.

I'm also finishing up overclocked Apple GF4Ti cards (325/720) for those
that want the fastest graphics possible and don' t want to wait for the
Radeon 9700 or loose OS 9 acceleration in the process. I install a
thermaltake G4 VGA cooler kit to keep the ram and core heat in check.
Any questions can be emailed to me directly unless you feel it would
benefit the rest of the list.

Chris Wirth
RedEclipseTurbo
GeForce3 at rochester.rr.com