[G4] Airport interference

Steve O'Neill steveo at omsoft.com
Thu Apr 24 22:38:05 PDT 2003

Hey,I know that one.  It slows down because it has to resend the damaged
packets.  There is a lot of data checking going on in a network
connection, especially over the air.  When a checksum fails the packet
is requested again (nak - negative acknowledgment).  If a
received-packet-acknowledgment fails, the sender times out and starts
again with the one that wasn't ack'ed.

It can take up to about 5 times as long in interference situations, but
the data arrives intact or not at all (but you'll know it).

I have a Airport 1 about 50 feet from my Mac, and I have these problems
when it rains.