[G4] Airport interference

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Fri Apr 25 00:04:05 PDT 2003

--On Friday, April 25, 2003 1:16 AM -0400 Todd Flashner
<tflash at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Wondering how the airport (and/or 3rd party wireless products) stand up to
> interference from microwave ovens and 2.4GHz phones.

For gradual interference, Airport does fairly well; it slows down (via
resends) but doesn't usually break down. Actually, some sources (e.g. badly
shielded electric power motors) can blanket the spectrum enough to make
Airport unusable, but that's definitely unusual (and bound to mess up other
things in your home too).

Do remember that interference goes both ways, though. Airport is resilient,
but consumer devices are often not. 2.4GHz phones may well lose channel
lock and fail even while Airport slows down and survives. Cheap 2.4GHz
wireless video links can "snow out" when airport streams data.

> When interference is present does it merely slow the transfer rate down or
> will it corrupt data? IOW, if I'm trsfering a large file, like and
> application, or video clip, across the network while another 2.4GHz gadget
> is in use what is the likely outcome upon my transfer?

It depends on what protocol is used underneath. Anything based on TCP will
be resilient and continue working (albeit slowly). It would take more than
a minute of complete interference to break a TCP connection. This takes
care of HTTP (web), FTP, etc. UDP based protocols are iffier; unfortunately
that includes DNS (name resolution). Video streaming is latency sensitive;
if you lose lots of packets, you may experience jerks or audio drops. But
remember that if you stream off the internet, airport is some 5x faster
than your internet connection, so you have plenty of bandwidth to spare.

Cheers
  -- perry