[G4] G4/667 upgrade: Sony 215A1 CDRW 48x24x48x & Apple burning software

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 21:03:47 PDT 2003

ASP is telling you that you don't have the machine that is really there. The
software is not recognizing the newer model. It is entirely probable that
your particular model is not actually supported yet by the Apple burning
software.

The thing to remember with any third party device is that the driver software
for it may not be compatible with a Mac, or it may not be available yet.

I had to wait about 4 months before my Sony CD/RW-145s was finally supported
by the OS upgrade. I could use it with Toast to burn, but it wouldn't work as
a boot drive and wasn't able to burn with Apple software until the driver was
updated.

Unless having the ability to boot from the drive is absolute, I suggest
getting the latest Toast version to burn with. IMHO, Toast is a whale of a
lot better than the Apple burner. I got around the boot problem by installing
the original 24x CD in an external case and putting it on the shelf until I
had a CD boot situation.