OS X crashes

Ron Goebel redial at sport.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 20:53:51 PDT 2003

Ok all you G4/OS X gurus out there, I have a problem.  I have a G4
QuickSilver running OS X 10.2.5 with no problems until about a week
ago.  Now, every 5 to 15 minutes, no matter what I'm doing, the
screen darkens, as if a gray film is being pulled down from top to
bottom, and a message says (in 4 languages): "You need to restart
your computer.  Press and hold down the Power button for several
seconds or press the Reset button."  The MAC address and local IP
address of the G4 are at the bottom of the dialog box.

I've ruled out a hardware problem by virtue of the fact that I can
boot into OS 9.2 and run just fine for hours.  Also, the problem will
happen even if no applications are running.  I've even restarted and
left it idle at the login screen, and within minutes the above
happens.

So far, I've run Disk First Aid to both repair the startup volume and
fix the permissions, run fsck at startup, zapped the pram, and run
Drive 10 from the CD - all to no avail.

At this point I'm thinking I need to reinstall OS X 10.2 and then run
the updater to 10.2.5.  However, it may be something as simple as
trashing some preference file, if only I could figure out which one.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about this task?  Oh for
something like Conflict Catcher for OS X.

Ron