Sound cards?

Eric Volker ebv1 at charter.net
Tue Apr 29 20:50:54 PDT 2003

After playing MP3's side by side on my Mac and PC, I realized that my
PC had noticeably higher sound quality. Instead of the poor quality
onboard sound on the PC, I upgraded it with a Soundblaster 512 which
substantially improved the quality of audio. While a Mac's onboard
sound is better than the built-in audio on most PCs, it doesn't have
the same quality as a good add-on PC card.

As a Mac user, this situation annoys me. Can I find a sound card for
the Mac? The only thing I'm aware of is a XiTel Hifi-link, which is a
USB audio "card." Has anyone used one of these? Any other options?

Thanks,

Eric Volker
ebv1 at charter.net