[G4] 350 Sawtooth Nvidia upgrade for VPC app

kcor24 at earthlink.net kcor24 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 8 14:52:39 PDT 2003

> Earthviewer requires a nvidia card.

> TIA
> Kathleen

Upgrading the video card for your Mac may not do much for your Virtual
PC applications. I remember reading that Virtual PC does not support
video cards for running PC games, I do not think that Windows
applications can use the video cards feature. If this is why you are
upgrading the video card, you might want to poke around the VirtualPC
support site and see if there is an answer before you shell out the
bucks.

Bill
------------------------------

The Keyhole Earthviewer site lists DirectX or OpenGL as a requirement.

And found this: "Atomic Park.com 2002" review of Virtual PC 5..

"For speed and other reasons, Connectix stresses that Virtual PC is not
intended as a gaming platform. Few games will run correctly, and
Virtual PC doesn't support hardware graphics acceleration, such as
DirectX. Nonetheless, we were able to run the Windows 2000 3D pinball
game in OS 9. On the other hand, in OS X, we encountered too many gaps
in the sound and animation to enjoy the game."

I will have to look up the subject more thoroughly.

Thanks Bill!

Kathleen