[G4] G5 and photoshop

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Fri Aug 8 20:09:50 PDT 2003

Kunga,
As a project manager for software development, I must disagree with
your characterization of migrating applications from 32 to 64 bits. I'm
afraid that is nothing like trivial, and for many applications would
not even be useful. As you pointed out, the higher bus speed and the
greater memory throughput will generate breathtaking improvements that
have been long overdue. The OS will take its time migrating from 32 to
64 bits, just as it took its time migrating from 680x0 to PPC native.
Applications will do the same. The OS doesn't need to be fully 64 bit
to take advantage of some of the features of the chip right away.
It would be great if Photoshop would be 64 bits by the time the G5s
delivered, but the OS won't even be fully 64 bit. The most immediate
need is to make memory addressing see more RAM, and as I understand
10.2.7, which will be the OS on the new G5s, has implemented that
feature.
Just my two cents,
Mel