[G4] Apple's New G5 Marketing Approach

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 13 05:39:51 PDT 2003

     jgvp wrote:

>A very odd incident occurred yesterday evening. My wife called me to
>the phone as Eric of Apple wished to speak to me. Not having
>communicated in any way with Apple recently, I was intrigued with why
>they would want to phone me. Eric stated: " I hear you're thinking
>about buying a G5 ?" I replied "Yes, you're right about that, at the
>moment I just happen to be thinking about it !"
>Naturally, you have thoughts running through your head such as: "where
>did he get this kind of information from ? However, whenever I asked
>such a question, I would hear Eric say " this line is breaking up, I
>couldn't hear what you just said properly." I wasn't using my cellular
>so any break up must have been caused at his end (?).

     Well, you _are_ in Canada, right? (Sorry.) Actually, if as Shawn
King suggests, the call was from a marketing firm working for Apple,
they probably buy outgoing long distance in blocks from a
consolidator, and those connections can be quite poor.

[snip]

>Since the number of orders for the G5 is such that there is
>a back-log of >2 months, why would Apple see a need to seek additional
>sales by using techniques that, so far as I am concerned, are rather
>extraordinary to say the least ?

     One can speculate on at least two reasons why Apple is beating
the bushes: first, the stories of backlogs may have led to a tailing
off of new orders for G5's (some people might figure they wouldn't
get theirs until January, when price changes/speed bumps
traditionally occur?), and Apple wants to keep those sales figures
booming for the next quarterly report (e.g. reversing the trend of
declining revenues from the desktop line); second, this might be
honest-to-gosh market research, and they're trying to forecast demand
so they can determine whether to pay top dollar for priority
production from IBM, add production facilities, add shifts on the
existing lines, &c.

     A third, and somewhat more sordid, possibility is that they're
trying to shill business for the Apple Store, and take it away from
resellers such as jgvp's favorite one. Given Apple's current
relations with some of its resellers, that would be in poor taste, to
say the least.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA