[G4] Apple's New G5 Marketing Approach

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Sat Aug 16 11:20:21 PDT 2003

The Rockford Files kicked =)

The bottomline to this whole discussion is:
Apple is trying to sell computers and they don't do a very good job of it.

The obvious blatent point that hasn't been brought up is simply:
If they understood their product, who their product appeals to, and what
THOSE people are looking for in a product. Then simply they wouldn't need
to call.

The profits in business are made from understanding your customer base and
putting the right product within easy enough reach so they feel like they
got a great deal. If you do that, you don't have to call because you can
tell by your sales charts.

The hard part is trying to find this point or how to manuever yoruself
into a position without devaluing your product to put yourself into this
position after you screw up initially.

Honestly, the fact that they are calling means they missed. I don't think
they missed the top of the line, but they totally fucked up the heart and
soul which is the mid, low end machines. You put dual procs in those
machines with that price point.

You get rid of the castration on the low-end, put a single proc 1.2-1.4
Ghz (which would be chips that would get thrown out) and sell it for a 1k
you have a winner. It is pretty simple actually.

</marketing 101>