[G4] Switching hard drives.

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 02:28:23 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/24/03 10:30:44, thiel at mynewroads.com writes:

<<  After researching
the IBM drive, I found out that it would only work with a G3 or G4
Mac. You might check out the mfg. specs on the model of the HD you're
planning to transplant >>

Real strange situation. Can you tell me which model IBM drive it was that
gave you all that trouble? I'd like to be able to keep an eye out for any that
come my way at the program I do volunteer work with.

I have used many (in the hundreds) IBM drives in different Power Macs and
have never found one that "would only work with a G3 or G4 Mac". As long as they
showed up in the Drive Setup window and let me format them, they would work
in any Mac that I was working on at the time, from the 6400 up to the 9600
models and G3 desktop and towers. It didn't matter whether the drive was an IDE or
SCSI drive as long as I was using a newer version of Drive Setup such as the
version that comes with OS 8.5 or 8.6