G4 -External CD-RW's

Robert Weller n6ne at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 09:05:56 PDT 2003

Sony Spressa's, especially the early ones (100-120
series) are only marginally compatible with the
Macintosh platform.  I have one (Firewire), and have 2
friends that have them (both USB), and we all have
problems.

The main problem that I have is that the CDRW simply
is not recognized and doesn't show up in the FW chain.
 I have also seen the "drive reported an error."  All
of the problems appear to be related to the "box,"
that is the interface between the USB/FW connection
and the drive.

Be sure you have the latest version of Toast (I run
5.1.3).

Take a look at this page for additional suggestions:

http://www.charismac.com/Support/Discribe/ilinkdiscribe.html

Sony does not support these drives, and seems to have
little interest in the Mac community.

Bob