[G4] Analog to Digital Video Help

charlie gibbs charlie at gibbsproductions.com
Mon Dec 1 09:10:23 PST 2003

If you are serious about having a decent quality video after you have
spent the time to shoot video and the hours required to edit your
video... The best way to go from consumer analog to iMovie or any other
NLE program is to copy the analog video to miniDV Tape first!  You can
buy a used miniDV camera for $400.00 or less and a tape for $5.00 and
you have a complete editing system... And also a better camera that you
can use as an editing deck and also as a live feed to a TV monitor.
The quality of copying analog to DV Tape somehow increases the quality
of the original video.  Now you can feed in and out of your computer by
firewire and store your finished videos on DV Tape which makes better
master tapes than analog masters.

Several other things to think about is once you are using minDV, you
have timecode on your tapes for precise editing over and over.  You can
store your final video on the miniDv and feed it back all or part of
your project into the computer to reedit without loss.

I have a huge library of Hi8 travel videos that I shot years ago.
After a while they get ruined from sitting on the shelf.  I started
transferring some to miniDV to use in some of my video production
projects.  The video that I transfer to DV tape before inputting into
my computer, look a lot better that if I went direct from camera to my
computer.  The only question is if your project and future projects are
worth the effort and expense.