[G4] Processor upgrade advice

Richard Smykla rsmykla at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 04:31:39 PST 2003

Chris,

I also picked up a single-processor Sawtooth (450) a couple of years
ago with similar upgrade notions. I took the route of swapping in a
dual-450 from a gigabit model. I assume you're aware of the Uni-N
chip revision limitation on early G4s?

<http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqList&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=33673&-search>

and <http://www.powerlogix.com/support2/notices/pfdualg4100/>

Make sure your G4 can handle a dual before making your purchase. NO
problems noted in my case - although the machine didn't feel
appreciably faster for single tasks, there is a very noticeable
difference when you start multi-tasking. No slowdowns unless you
*really* tax your system. And big improvements in programs that take
advantage of multiple processors and Altivec.

That said, I think the best bang for the buck here is to go for the
1.25 upgrade.

My experience?  I recently sold my maxed-out Sawtooth (which was
running Jaguar 10.2.8 very well when sold) to buy a friend's
Quicksilver dual-800. A respectable move up in performance, I gained
a superdrive, but I left behind my Radeon 8500 (great card!) for the
stock nVidia 2MX (not nearly as nice) and my max RAM went from 2 to
1.5 GB. It wound up costing me about $300 for the switch, and I'm
happy with the result, but in retrospect I may have been better
served with a (single) processor upgrade (even though I've become
spoiled by the advantages of duals). Third party dual processor
upgrades are still too pricey for my tastes; buying a used dual seems
the better route if you're willing to weather the hassle of
selling/buying/swapping drives, etc. . .

Prices have begun to drop on the previous generations of G4 duals. A
dual-1G Quicksilver recently went for a $1000 on one of the swap
lists I follow (also see eBay), though the MDD duals are still
priced too high to compete with the entry level G5. The QS boxes
probably offer the best performance for your money in that price
range, IMHO. If you do an upgrade, hold on to that Radeon . . . also
remember that a QS can use the same RAM modules as your Sawtooth if
you used PC133 for your previous memory upgrades. . .

Whew. Interested to hear which way you finally go on this . . .  good luck!

Rick

--
Rick Smykla
rsmykla at verizon.net