[G4] Buying a custom built G4

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Mon Dec 8 04:42:43 PST 2003

Le 29/11/2003 19:39, « Vernon LeMoignan » <arrow at oanet.com> a écrit :

> The second processor will provide significant gains with any of the
> Apple applications.

<snip>

*** I beg to differ: The application has to be written to use 2 CPU's. Not
all are. So while the system accepts 2 CPU's, it doesn't automagically mean
your applications will.

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> It has been about a year since I was last on this list.
>>
>> I now need some advice on buying a new Mac.
>>
>> I currently have a G4 400 (AGP) running OS 9.2.2
>>
>> While I am happy with it, I want to expand my playing with movies and
>> burn DVDs.  I'm thinking that a G4 with a superdrive might be the most
>> cost-effective way to go.

<snip>

*** Since you're happy with it, why messing around and buying a new one? I
advice you - from experience - to upgrade your existing box (only if you're
not afraid of opening the case and using a screw driver or able to get help
of a friend or maybe ask the shop to do the upgrade for you), rather than
buy a new one. Unless you're a pro this is what happens to work for me, and
I use my PM for semi-professional work:

In this order:
1/
Get Panther

2/
Get as much as RAM as possible: 4x512Mb works without a hitch

3/
The Pioneer line of DVD-R/RW is Jag/Panther compatible: I have a A06, the
older A106 works too. Mine is DVD + & -

4/
If you need more CPU power, a Giga design 1,25 (guaranteed up to 1,6MHz) CPU
upgrade works wonders. A dual CPU is available.

This is how my upgrade looked like (single CPU upgrade) for a price approx.
around $600. It might be a bit more if you have to pay for the upgrade.

This way you keep your setup, your box and everything that's inside and you
just add the new components, one by one. This way I was also able to upgrade
one thing at a time without having to slash out the whole sum at once. My
advice would be to get the Panther, the RAM and the DVD first, the rest can
follow later. The G4-400 is fast enough for what you want to do. Mine was a
500.

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup