CD/RW Internal not working in Panther

DILLOMAN at aol.com DILLOMAN at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 14:51:33 PST 2003

Hello fellow Listers,
I have a problem that I'm sure you Listers can help with...
Computer: G4/450MP;  1.25 gb RAM; OS XPanther 10.3.1

I removed the factory CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive and inserted an internal QPS 24x10x40 CD/RW.

Upon boot-up, the light on the drive flashes, and the drawer will open/close.  Once started-up, the drive is basically dead.  No flashing lights, and the drawer won't budge, - DEAD!

I am trying to use Toast 5.2.3 or iTunes or Burn Disk (from the File Menu).  The System Profiler does not even see the drive in Panther.

Now, here's the strange part, if I boot into OS 9.2.2, everything works fine!  I can burn to my little heart's content.  AND the drive is seen by ASP (Apple System Profiler).

QPS Tech Support says to get drivers from Apple - NOT!!!  Apple doesn't have them (that I can find).

BTW, the drive did CD/R, not "W" in OS X 10.2.8, and it was recognized in ASP.

Is there some 3rd party drivers I can try?  Intech does not have their OS X  CD software complete.

This is a real PITA (Pain in the A**)!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

--
J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics