[G4] Font managers and OS choices?

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Tue Dec 9 11:03:25 PST 2003

I am a loooong time (before computers) graphic artist. I have been on
computers since 1991. I provide support for a few graphics folk and some
artist. I have at least 5,000 fonts on my work station.

I have used all the major font management programs on OS 9.x and all
versions of OSX. The best font manager on any platform or OS version is
Font Reserve. Suitcase (SC) is very good, but not as good. Extensis owns
Suitcase and has recently acquired Font Reserve (FR). OS 10.3 is causing
a need for an update on SC and FR. I am sure Extensis is doing
something. They will be rolling the programs together sometime; When? I
am guessing that the next fix on FR will let you go until the next major
OS update you make. I haven't had a paid update on FR since OSX v1.

FR 3.1.xx will install and work well for OS X and Classic.

You will also need a program called Font Doctor or Font Doctor X; it
makes much deeper font repairs than the font managers. This is a real
must have for OS X, as it is very picky about the condition of fonts.

You can just get you old fonts on a zip and move them. SC or FR will
install them and organize them. The fonts are good in OS9 and OSX; FR
will handle all updates transparently.

You are in a place were you need to make a plan for moving to OSX; OS 9
is at the end. It is costly to move to OSX; all your programs need to be
updated. Panther will run almost as snappy on your mac as OS 9. It has a
font manager but it is too buggy at this point and will never be good
for professional work. You should plan to go to OS X 10.3 and try to
update Quark to 6 as soon as you can, although it works fine in Classic.
OR Adobe might make a move to InDesign CS very attractive. I don't know
if you will want FR before or after Quark, but I recommend going to OSX
before buying font management software.

A 2.x version of Disk Warrior will work fine for Panther for quit
awhile; you will boot to OS 9 before booting to DW. Panther has a lot of
free and cheap shareware utilities available that will keep it humming.

OSX needs at least 512 mb of RAM. after you get your main programs to
OSX and get adjusted to the new EVERYTHING, you will never want to see
OS 9 again.

Roger