[G4] Broadband Speed Liar's Poker

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 14:21:13 PST 2003

At 10:25 -0500 on 12/14/2003, Timothy Pitts wrote about Re: [G4]
Broadband Speed  Liar's Poker:

>My Cable Modem gets about 235 KB per second average. Cable Modems tend to be
>faster than DSL, but bear in mind that your DSL speed should remain
>relatively constant while a Cable modem user must share bandwidth with other
>users on the same node.

I disagree. The only difference between DSL and Cable is where the
sharing of the bandwidth occurs. With Cable, as you note, it is at
the modem which shares the available bandwidth with other users on
your node. With DSL, the "last mile" (ie: The physical wire
connection from your modem to the Central Office) is yours and thus
not restricted BUT once you get to the CO you are merged with all the
others using your CO for the CO->NEXT-HOP Bandwidth (which is thus
the location of the "node") so you still can get throttled during
periods of high demand on your "Node".