What is this thing on my dock?

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 00:41:06 PST 2003

Hi all -

I thought we were immune to this sort of thing, but it would seem that
some kind of attachments in email spam is putting gifs on my desktop
named "Untitled 1" etc.

And lo and behold on my dock is a new icon named "Generate_gif."

Um, I decided to click on the icon and the url was
http://www.register.com/generate_gif.cgi?msg=denverpost.com

This is a Whois I did on the Denver Post to make sure the article
someone referred me to was really written by Walter Cronkite.
(He compared Ashcroft to Torquemada, so I really thought I should
check it out! <silly grin>

So maybe it's just an inadvertent alias? But the gifs are ads, silly ones
at that. Not the kind of thing a newspaper would generate. Something
from Register.com? (I have my domains through them.)

Yes, I'll reboot and find out if the alias (if that's what it is) is still
there and trash it and see if it comes back, check Get Info if I can,
etc.

Any other ideas? Oh, yes, the icon is the "spring with the @
symbol."

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com