[G4] G4; Sims Superstar question

Mike Stout Mike.Stout at tate.org.uk
Sat Dec 27 01:52:15 PST 2003

>Installed in this order:
>Sims Basic
>Unleashed
>House Party
>Hot Date
>Unleashed
>Superstar

OK, first off, I'm sure that first Unleashed is a typo, as that isn't
the right order. The right order will in the Superstar CD booklet.

>OS X.1
>Sometimes running out of Classic

I would never play Sims in Classic mode under OS X, always boot into OS
9 when it's Sims time.

>Now my problem is the game appears huge on my monitor and it shakes.
The entire game is >off center; and bleeds over the edge on both the
right side and bottom.  It immediately >froze up.

The shakiness could be insufficient memory. When you re-installed, did
you remember to increase the memory allocation. We run all the Sims
packs up to and including Superstar
With 700 M of RAM assigned plus some virtual memory. It no longer runs
smooth but redraws every second. I would actually suggest switching
Virtual Memory off (until we get more RAM, we can't even open Sims
without VM), putting in as much RAM as you can and assigning the vast
majority to Sims. 1GB + of RAM would be a minimum in my experience.
Check your monitor resolution setting and choose something in the region
of 1024 X 780 or whatever it is. Something high anyway.
When the Sims starts it should ask you to choose a resolution setting,
again choose the highest. If it doesn't ask you at the beginning then
maybe you can do it when the game finally boots up -  I can't remember
if it's an option. Uncheck any unecessary options in the game like photo
album or web settings or whatever I is.
Finally, with all these packs installed, Superstar takes in excess of 5
minutes to load on our 400 MHz machine. On yours it might be quicker,
but there is still a hell of a lot stuff being loaded up, so have a
great deal of patience when starting up, it may not be froze at all.
...and think of this, Sims Superstar is the last pack to be made for OS
9. It will start all over again in OS X next time I am led to believe,
so this should be as frustrating as it gets....for a while.
Best of luck, hope some of this helps,

Mike