What online venders do you trust? - Warranty

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 12:00:46 PST 2003

Tracker at aol.com wrote:

> If you install it yourself, the waranty is voided!
>
> Unless the company specifically advises that users "can or may install
> after-purchase parts and not void the waranty", any part installed by the
> buyer can immediately void the waranty in many states.
>
> Your state may or may not have established purchaser protection laws that
> would over-ride the waranty statements. You will have to investigate your
> rights under the laws applicable in your home area to be sure.

Looking at the law is one thing.  But let's look at Apple's policy.  Apple
manuals for my machines give very detailed and specific instructions for
installing extra RAM.  This does not threaten Apple's warranty on what Apple
put into the machine.  OK fine, Apple would not warranty that third part
RAM, but the RAM vendor does.

Also, there as a time a few years ago when Apple itself would not sell the
higher capacity RAM sticks to max out the machines they were selling from
their on-line store.  That begged customers to seek out the high capacity,
third party RAM on their own.  Of course, the customers take the risk that
future Apple OSs will not agree with the 3rd party stuff.

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,